By: Law Office of Ray Haselman

What Is a Tax Specialist for the IRS?

Latest News

There are several careers that work within the realm of taxes and tax law. Tax accountants, tax advisors, tax preparers, tax managers, and many more designated positions exist to make the world of taxation go around.

It should be no surprise that the United States of America’s tax laws and regulations rank among the most complicated in the world, and they get more complicated with each passing legislation. This creates a high demand for each role in the tax economy. The IRS utilizes several positions to ensure the taxes run smoothly.

What Is An Enrolled Agent?

The IRS licenses and designates the term ‘enrolled’ agents to those tax experts and specialists who have demonstrated tax competence and earned the right to represent any clientele in manners regarding federal taxes.

Owning an Enrolled Agent (EA) designation means that no client is outside of that agent’s professional understanding. An EA holds unlimited practice rights and is able to bring in off-season work that allows them to operate their business year-round. On average, this grants an EA a nearly 10% higher salary than someone who does not hold the designation.

To become an Enrolled Agent, one has to have obtained a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN), passed all three parts of the Special Enrollment Exam (SEE), applied for enrollment, and passed a background check.

What Is A Certified Public Accountant?

The designation of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is licensed by the state boards of accountancy, as well as those of the District of Colombia, and other U.S. territories. To become a Certified Public Accountant, one must pass the Uniform CPA Examination. Not only does a CPA have to have completed a full study in accounting at an accredited college or university, but they must also have met with their state’s respective board of accountancy and satisfied the experience and good character requirements provided.

A CPA must comply with ethical requirements and complete specified levels of continued education to keep their license active yearly, so they are able to maintain their range of services. Certain CPAs may specialize in tax planning and preparation.

What Is A Tax Attorney?

Like a CPA or EA, a tax attorney has earned unlimited rights to represent clients before the IRS. Unlike CPAs or EAs, a tax attorney is required to have a law degree and pass a test commonly known as a bar exam administered by their state’s bar association.

Tax attorneys take their vast knowledge of tax law and apply it to the preparation of tax returns, tax planning, and providing advice on long-range strategies for reducing the taxes of clients.

A tax attorney is required in most states to continue their education to maintain their status and remain up to date on current laws.

What Is A Non-Credentialed Tax Preparer?

Simply put, a non-credentialed tax preparer is an individual who prepares taxes without professional credentials or certifications, unlike CPAs, EAs, or tax attorneys. This is often a seasonal tax preparer who works under the supervision of a professional tax preparer.

If you’re looking for help deciding what tax professional you need to turn to in order to solve your tax preparation problems, call us today to set up a consultation at 786-522-0410.